Welcome

This is my personal blog, on which I talk about a variety of topics purely as they catch my fancy. Some topics are serious, others whimsical. I love comments and questions so don't be shy, just courteous, even if you don't agree with me. I have another blog, The Story Template, on which I post writing-related topics on Tuesdays and Fridays.

Let's see, a bit about me... I'm married with two children, and spend much time taking care of our family. In my life BC (before children) I was a scientist who did bench research. I am a Christian who came to faith under protest through studying the historic circumstances surrounding the death of Jesus. I've written one novel, A Lever Long Enough, that I'm honored to say has won two awards. I also have written a nonfiction book, The Story Template: Conquer Writer's Block Using the Universal Structure of Story. This book is a programmed learner-type book that helps you, the writer, develop a complete compelling story (novel or screenplay) from a vague idea.

YOU CAN CONTACT ME at amydeardon at yahoo dot com.

Thursday, December 15, 2011

'Twas the Night Before Christmas, for Moms


















'Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the abode
Only one creature was stirring; she was cleaning the commode.
The children were finally sleeping snug in their beds,
while visions of Nintendo flipped through their heads.

The dad was snoring in front of TV,
With a half-constructed bicycle propped on his knee.
So only Mom heard the reindeer hooves clatter,
Which made her sigh, "Now what is the matter?"

With the toilet bowl brush still clutched in her hand,
She descended the stairs and saw the old man.
He was covered with ashes, spilling them with a shrug,
"Oh, great," muttered Mom, "Now I must clean the rug."

"Ho Ho Ho!" cried Santa, "I'm glad you're awake,
your gift was especially difficult to make."
"Thanks, Santa, but I want the time alone."
"Exactly!" he chuckled, "So, I've made you a clone."

"A clone?" she muttered, "Now what good is that?
Run along, Santa, I've no time to chat."
Then out walked the clone - it was the mom's twin;
Same hair, same eyes, and same double chin.

"She'll cook, she'll dust, she'll mop every mess.
You'll relax, take it easy, watch The Young and Restless."
"Fantastic!" the Mom cheered. "My dream has come true!"
"I'll shop, I'll read, I'll sleep a night through!"

From the room above, the youngest did fret.
"Mommy? Come quickly, I'm scared and I'm wet."
The clone replied, "I'm coming, sweetheart."
"Hey," the Mom smiled, "she sure knows her part."

The clone changed the small one and hummed her a tune,
as she bundled the child in a blanket cocoon.
"You're the best mommy ever. I really love you."
The clone smiled and sighed, "And I love you, too."

The Mom frowned and said, "Sorry, Santa, no deal.
That's my child's love that she's trying to steal."
Smiling wisely, Santa said, "To me it is clear,
Only one loving Mother is thus needed here."

The Mom kissed her child and tucked her in bed.
"Thank you, Santa, so much, for clearing my head.
I sometimes forget, it won't be too long,
when they'll be too old for my cradle and song."

The clock on the mantle began to chime nine.
Santa whispered to the clone, "It works every time."
With the clone by his side, Santa said, "Good night.
Merry Christmas, dear Mom, you will now be all right."

~ Author Unknown ~

No comments:

Post a Comment