Welcome

This is my personal blog, on which I talk about a variety of topics purely as they catch my fancy. Some topics are serious, others whimsical. I love comments and questions so don't be shy, just courteous, even if you don't agree with me. I have another blog, The Story Template, on which I post writing-related topics on Tuesdays and Fridays.

Let's see, a bit about me... I'm married with two children, and spend much time taking care of our family. In my life BC (before children) I was a scientist who did bench research. I am a Christian who came to faith under protest through studying the historic circumstances surrounding the death of Jesus. I've written one novel, A Lever Long Enough, that I'm honored to say has won two awards. I also have written a nonfiction book, The Story Template: Conquer Writer's Block Using the Universal Structure of Story. This book is a programmed learner-type book that helps you, the writer, develop a complete compelling story (novel or screenplay) from a vague idea.

YOU CAN CONTACT ME at amydeardon at yahoo dot com.

Monday, March 26, 2012

Freedom

In an essay (The Humanitarian Theory of Punishment) CS Lewis writes:

"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."

My friends, I am not the first to say this, but I add my voice to the Tea Party activists, Jeffersonians, and all of us plain Americans in "fly-over" country who see something terribly wrong happening to our country.

CS Lewis' quote reminds me so much of the USA in 2012: strong men and women in government are passing more laws to make sure we do "what is best for us." Health care, reduced US oil production, runaway spending, and so many more examples that one grows weary even thinking of them. Taxes and other means of raising governmental revenue keep rising, costs of living (food, shelter, transportation) keep rising, and jobs are not available.

Our presidential race this year in all likelihood will be between Obama and a RINO (Republican in name only) who initiated his own state-run health care mandates in Massachusetts when he was governor. Nancy Pelosi tells us that the US plan is what the Founding Fathers meant by "Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness." Huh?

Below I have two quick speeches, one of Patrick Henry's "Give me Liberty or Give me Death," the other of JFK's talk on "Truth." These men spoke in different times, but their words ring true today.

One more thought: As much as our problems might seem to be based on overspending, racial prejudice, class warfare (the "rich"), oil, immigration, world unrest, or anything else, I believe the root is a spiritual lack in our country. We have lost our sense of God. The remedy comes from those who believe in God:

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. (2 Chronicles 7:14, NIV).

Anything on this Earth is temporary, and all kingdoms fall, but we can still ask for God's favor for current times. Please join me in prayer for our country.



No comments:

Post a Comment