Welcome

This is my personal blog, on which I talk about a variety of topics purely as they catch my fancy. Some topics are serious, others whimsical. I love comments and questions so don't be shy, just courteous, even if you don't agree with me. I have another blog, The Story Template, on which I post writing-related topics on Tuesdays and Fridays.

Let's see, a bit about me... I'm married with two children, and spend much time taking care of our family. In my life BC (before children) I was a scientist who did bench research. I am a Christian who came to faith under protest through studying the historic circumstances surrounding the death of Jesus. I've written one novel, A Lever Long Enough, that I'm honored to say has won two awards. I also have written a nonfiction book, The Story Template: Conquer Writer's Block Using the Universal Structure of Story. This book is a programmed learner-type book that helps you, the writer, develop a complete compelling story (novel or screenplay) from a vague idea.

YOU CAN CONTACT ME at amydeardon at yahoo dot com.

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Where Do You Plant Your Trees?



My husband's and my first house was a little townhouse about 20 minutes from the University where we both worked, me as a grad student, my husband for employment. It was perfect for us, small and secure and when we closed the door we were in our own little bubble. We bought it new, and everything worked. During the winters we burned an occasional log in the little fireplace in the basement.

When we moved, a young couple took over and dressed things up a bit -- new curtains in the window, a few flowers planted around the mailbox. They also planted a little willow in the front yard that looked so pretty, with droopy arched branches that swayed gracefully in the wind.

Flash forward about 15 years. While driving by for old times' sake, I was shocked to see that little tree had grown pretty big. The arched branches now blocked the windows. Although the tree itself was shapely, it no longer looked good where it was. I couldn't help thinking that if I owned the house again I'd want to remove it, but that wouldn't be an easy job with houses and cars so close together. And the tree stump? These are always a chore to grind, and leave a hold in the ground.

Although I have fond memories of that little house, happily it is no longer mine and I DON'T have to deal with that tree. Driving away, I couldn't help reflecting that lie is like that tree.

We often plant pretty little trees in our life: sports or hobbies, courses of study or people we befriend. These things when they appear are charming. However, it's important to remember that trees grow, and can outgrow their original purposes. Being on the college swim team is great, but if it prevents you from getting better grades maybe you'll regret it when you start looking for a job. A friend may be sunny and fun, but if you and the friend end up wasting a lot of time this may not be a good ultimate thing. If you decide to do anything for short term gain, without looking at the long term costs, you may ultimately regret that little tree.

1 comment:

  1. I love this thought picture! I need to think about some of the little tress in my life right now. They will be easier to remove while they are small. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete