Welcome

This is my personal blog, on which I talk about a variety of topics purely as they catch my fancy. Some topics are serious, others whimsical. I love comments and questions so don't be shy, just courteous, even if you don't agree with me. I have another blog, The Story Template, on which I post writing-related topics on Tuesdays and Fridays.

Let's see, a bit about me... I'm married with two children, and spend much time taking care of our family. In my life BC (before children) I was a scientist who did bench research. I am a Christian who came to faith under protest through studying the historic circumstances surrounding the death of Jesus. I've written one novel, A Lever Long Enough, that I'm honored to say has won two awards. I also have written a nonfiction book, The Story Template: Conquer Writer's Block Using the Universal Structure of Story. This book is a programmed learner-type book that helps you, the writer, develop a complete compelling story (novel or screenplay) from a vague idea.

YOU CAN CONTACT ME at amydeardon at yahoo dot com.

Monday, May 21, 2012

Clarke's Three Laws



The novelist Arthur C. Clarke (1917-2008) was a British writer, inventor, and futurist. He worked as a radar techician and in 1945 proposed a satellite communication system. His most famous story is 2001: A Space Odyssey, published in 1968.

He was a keen observer of technological development, and incorporated many of his ideas in his novels. These ideas notably didn't seem to include conflicting principles or flawed theoretical concepts. Clarke codified some of his ideas of technology into three laws:

1. When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wront.

2. The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.

3. Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

These laws certainly have been guiding principles to great inventors like Franklin, Whitney, Morse, Bell, Edison, and Tessla, or modern inventors like Bill Gates or Steve Jobs. Think about how our computers or cell phones seem outdated five or even two years later thanks to cooperative endeavors from many brilliant unknown people.

How cool is that? Vive Tecnology.

No comments:

Post a Comment