Welcome

This is my personal blog, on which I talk about a variety of topics purely as they catch my fancy. Some topics are serious, others whimsical. I love comments and questions so don't be shy, just courteous, even if you don't agree with me. I have another blog, The Story Template, on which I post writing-related topics on Tuesdays and Fridays.

Let's see, a bit about me... I'm married with two children, and spend much time taking care of our family. In my life BC (before children) I was a scientist who did bench research. I am a Christian who came to faith under protest through studying the historic circumstances surrounding the death of Jesus. I've written one novel, A Lever Long Enough, that I'm honored to say has won two awards. I also have written a nonfiction book, The Story Template: Conquer Writer's Block Using the Universal Structure of Story. This book is a programmed learner-type book that helps you, the writer, develop a complete compelling story (novel or screenplay) from a vague idea.

YOU CAN CONTACT ME at amydeardon at yahoo dot com.

Monday, October 1, 2012

2008 Ad: Obama: Country I Love



This is a 2008 ad for Barack Obama. I've included the transcript below.

It's so fun to look through some of these and imagine if any of these ads might make it in 2012?

The website http://www.livingroomcandidate.org/ contains presidential ads from 1952 through to 2012. Trends change, but the desire to be elected remains the same. See what you think.

*

Video Transcript: "Country I Love" for Barack Obama, 2008 Presidential Campaign

~soft music in the background~

I'm Barack Obama.

America's a country of strong families, and strong values. My life's been blessed by both.

I was raised by a single mom and my grandparents. We didn't have much money, but they taught me values straight from the Kansas heartland where they grew up:

Accountability and self-reliance.
Love of country.
Working hard without making excuses.
Treating your neighbor as you'd like to be treated.

That's what guided me as I worked my way up, taking jobs and loans to make it through college. It's what led me to pass up Wall Street jobs, and go to Chicago instead, helping neighborhoods devastated when steel plants closed. That's why I passed laws moving people from welfare to work, cut taxes for working families, and extended health care for wounded troops who'd been neglected. I approved this message because I'll never forget those values. And if I have the honor of taking the oath as President of America, it will be with a deep and abiding faith in the country I love.

~soft music fades out~

No comments:

Post a Comment